[LarrysList] The WWV Issue

Laurance Staples larrystaples at mac.com
Wed Sep 26 09:06:28 CDT 2018

My thoughts about the WWV issue:

I’m KØIP; I got licensed in 1962 in Shawnee. WWV has been a staple of my life. I still listen to it several times a month to set my watch.   Yes I could just look at my cellphone,  my computer clock,  and/or check the time and date on my GPS.  I also use their signal(s) as kind of a propagation indicator.

Someone ask, would losing WWV  be a personal “catastrophe", not a catastrophe, but it would be a LOSS, and a sad day!

WWV is a beacon of United States know how, providing many services other than time.  It's on frequency, heard around the world, used to designate weather reports to ships at sea, to say nothing about synchronizing the "atomic" clocks, watches, and receivers for many other users that require accurate timing. Many users can't use Internet time,  it's full of latency.

Any Idea that the ARRL should pickup the system is just not feasible. Firstly, the accuracy of the radio frequency and the timing signal is compare with three cesium standards at the NIST facility in Bolder, CO.  At least that's how it worked a few years ago. Those three cesium standards are calibrated against the best clock in the world, the NIST-F1 Fountain Clock.   Another stroke of USA genius.  I might add this is a extreme simplification of how it all works.  It's way more complex that a 10mhz oven controlled crystal transmitter.

So will it be the end of the world? Probably not, but it will be another loss of United States prestige, as we project our technical excellence around the world.   The signals from WWV, WWVH, and WWVB are used by millions of users world wide. Hopefully Congress,  who has to approve the budget,  will realize the importance of the WWV signal.

I suggest everyone take a look at the WWV web:

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/radio-stations/wwv
https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/radio-stations/wwvh
https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/radio-stations/wwvb

To quote a few facts:

NIST radio station WWV broadcasts time and frequency information 24 hours per day, 7 days per week to millions of listeners worldwide. The broadcast information includes time announcements, standard time intervals, standard frequencies, UT1 time corrections, a BCD time code, geophysical alerts and marine storm warnings.

John Wilson, KØIP
jcwilson at ida.net