[LarrysList] After Beryl Breakfast Activity for 9/22/18

Laurance Staples larrystaples at mac.com
Sat Sep 22 17:15:05 CDT 2018

We had another fine ham radio day at Jerry Smith Park in Martin City today with perfect Fall weather.  Attendees were W0AO Bob, K0HAW Dan, K0DGB Dennis, KB0TVC Jeff, and KE0OLQ Sean.  It was the first time for Sean so he was taking notes and pictures.  I think he will be visiting the hardware store, the sporting goods store, the BioEnno website, and Associated Radio in the near future.

We had two stations set up today:

Station one was Dan’s Yaesu FT-891 with his Alpha vertical.  He used a different grounding scheme for his automatic tuner and it improved the tuner action tremendously.

Station two was Bob's Electraft KX-3 with the 20 meter crappie pole / speaker wire vertical with the 40 meter add-on as needed.  We traded bands on each station between 40 and 20 meters.

There was a UK/EI (the Brits and the Irish) DX contest going on which was causing a little crowding on 20 meters but there were plenty of other stations to work on both bands.  We checked in to the SATERN net on 20 with net control K2QMU in New York.  Then the Plano Hot Air Balloon Festival (W5P) on 40.  KE0AHM Bob from Pueblo, Colorado had a massively loud signal on 40.  We also worked WC8VOA at the Bethany Relay Station of the Voice of America which was celebrating their 75th anniversary.  The Skyview Radio Society was celebrating their 50th anniversary and we worked their Special Event station W3GH which is the callsign of one of their founding fathers.  What a great club!:  http://www.skyviewradio.net/.  We also checked in to MIDCARS on 7258 and had several other random QSOs.

We finished up around 1 PM after a very enjoyable morning and afternoon.

73 DE W0AO Bob
w0ao.bob at gmail.com