[LarrysList] KD0HKD

Larry Staples larrystaples at mac.com
Fri Aug 10 18:01:25 CDT 2018

Reference - Larry's commentary on early 6m

Back in the early 70s, I lived (with my buddy) at a house at 41st. & Mercier in KCMO.  Used a Clegg Venus (6m SSB, AM, & CW) with a 4 ele 6m beam, that was on the roof peak at about 60'.  I got to noticing that every time Channel 2 (sound carrier on 54 mHz) in St. Joseph, MO would begin to come in, the band would open (duhhh)... so, I connected an old "beater" B&W tv to the antenna when I wasn't on the air, ran a feed from the AGC line to a Darlington pair amp, that keyed a relay to a sonalert in the downstairs kitchen.  Whenever the signal strength of Channel 2 came up enough, the sonalert would alert me, and I'd switch the antenna to the rig and work the 6m opening - lots of guys could never figure out how I always seemed to know when the band opened, before anybody else did.

Tom Dailey - WØEAJ
radio at daileyservices.com