[LarrysList] 2016 Field Day

Larry Staples larrystaples at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 13:43:26 CDT 2016

Larry - haven't seen many posts about Field Day, which is now less than 2 weeks away - June 25-26.

If you're a new ham or one that hasn't participated in a Field Day, you need to check it out.  There's no better activity for a new or inactive ham than Field Day.  It's an opportunity to socialize with other hams, operate or observe the operation of multiple modes that you may not be familiar with, see equipment and setups that you won't see anywhere else, and generally have a lot of fun.

If you belong to a club that's doing Field Day, join them at their site and participate as much as you can - even if you can only drop by for a few minutes.

The ARRL has a lot of information on their site about Field Day including a Field Day locator that shows all the clubs that have registered their location with ARRL.  There are about 7 shown in the KC Metro, but I'm sure there are others.

http://www.arrl.org/field-day

Also, I found this link to a presentation done by a club in Ohio about Field Day that provides a lot of good info for those that may be unfamiliar with the event.

http://nara2.eqth.info/Field%20Day%20Made%20Easy.pdf

Clubs can start setting up their site as early as Friday afternoon, although others wait until Saturday morning.  Operations start at 1PM on Saturday and run continuously until 1PM on Sunday.

Herb Fiddick (NZØF)
hfiddick at gmail.com