[LarrysList] Lightning Safety

Larry Staples larrystaples at mac.com
Fri Jan 8 15:02:37 CST 2016

Greetings All,

I've been reading about lightning safety and wanted to ask a couple of questions. First, my radio equipment is in a basement room with LMR400 that connects to a rooftop antenna. I have a fuse box (antenna only) at the base of the antenna and the ground wire that has yet to be installed. The grounding rod has been placed so that the grounding wire would travel horizontally ten feet from the antenna and vertically ten feet while avoiding 90 degree bends.

My questions are:

1. Have any of you ever had a direct strike to a rooftop mounted antenna?

2. Do any of you disconnect your equipment during an electrical storm? Which leads me to post this person's disconnect solution.  https://vimeo.com/133917999

Seems to me that a direct strike would bridge that gap even though it is physically separated.

My guess is that I just disconnect in our attic, but have to climb up and down every time to accomplish this. I don’t mind, but I thought I would ask the “pros" first.

We have a dog that is very afraid of storms and goes to this room every time. I know that the likely hood of a direct strike is very small but I would rather plan for the worse case scenario.

73,

Ken Hart KE0HBE
kenisonhart at yahoo.com
77375ac